Sunday, September 16, 2012

Ice Ice Baby

Well I did a little better this time- only like a month in between posts! Woo-hoo! For some reason, I felt the urge to blog tonight, about nothing particularly exciting, but just about some things I have cooked and stuff I want to cook and pregnancy updates.

Last time I wrote, I said I was drinking a lot of green smoothies and eating a lot of chocolate chip pancakes- not so much anymore on either! Heck, I don't even know what I've been eating these days, except that no one particular food has been on my mind and in my stomach daily. I did go through a phase where I was getting iced green teas without sweetener from Starbucks daily, sometimes twice a day! Around the same time, I went through a banana or pumpkin chocolate chip bread phase. I probably made 3-4 loafs of these breads within a week or two. The only thing I can tell you about my cravings and eating over the past week is that for once in my life, I am preferring savory to sweet. For instance at work the other day, I ate a bag of chips after lunch instead of going for the chocolate chip cookie that was sitting on the table- that never happens! Both were unhealthy choices, but I can't be perfect all the time, right?

In my last post, I also wrote about recipes I wanted to try. The almond flour brownies were not good- I think I took a couple bites of the brownies, left them on the counter for a day or two, and then threw them away. I'm not sure what it was, but they didn't taste good enough to be worth the calories. I have yet to find a homemade brownie recipe that rivals the boxed Betty Crocker or Duncan Hines brownies, but if you think you have one, please share!! I also did try those beet burgers- we thought they were pretty good, but I left out most of the salt so they lacked flavor. If I made them again, I'd definitely add the salt and then I think they'd be much better! I have not tried the mac and cheese recipe, but I will keep it on my list of meals I want to try. I've also had two failed attempts at making a healthier fruit crisp/crumble. I made a peach crumble a couple weeks ago, and the crumble was a little soggy. I made a pear crisp last night that just wasn't quite sweet enough despite the almost cup of brown sugar in the topping! To be fair, the filling called for a full cup of sugar, but I couldn't bear to make a dessert that contained 2 full cups of sugar, so it is my own fault. I'll just have to keep working away to make the perfect, healthy fruit crisp!

As far as recipes I want to try now, I really only have a couple recipes that have popped out at me recently, but will probably not make either! Here they are anyway though...

1) Chicken Noodle Soup Casserole- so I totally want to try this, but probably never will because Brant wouldn't eat it :( It's not vegan, but I've been a little lax in my vegan ways during my pregnancy.
http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/03/step-by-step-chicken-noodle-soup-casserole/

2) Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls- these look amazing, but I'm totally intimidated by cinnamon rolls and really any recipe that you have to roll out dough and then shape it! Maybe one of these days I'll take on the challenge!
 http://www.eatliverun.com/vegan-pumpkin-cinnamon-rolls/

Pregnancy wise, I am 32 weeks and feeling pretty well overall. I'm tired every day, but honestly, I feel like I've been tired since college, so it's really nothing new. I was having a horrible time sleeping due to restless legs, but that finally seems to be getting better after increasing my iron intake (apparently anemia can cause restless leg syndrome!) Here is a recent pic from about a week ago.



 Munchkie update: she just recovered from a week of fevers and tonsillitis and is now back to her normal self. Thank goodness! I appreciate having her healthy sooooo much more after spending time with her sick- it's exhausting and stressful!

Ho hum, well I guess that's about it! OH! I should explain the title of this post though. I've been chewing on ice like crazy the past week or two! My mom says that's another sign of anemia- interesting huh? I've never chewed or crunched on ice in my entire life, but now I cannot get enough of it! We'll see how long this lasts...

No comments:

Post a Comment